Performing Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities following Best Practices
Recorded On: 02/05/2020
IP Competency: Novice, Proficient, Expert
Duration: 60 minutes Available through: 12/31/2022
Sterilization is an integral part of infection prevention in the healthcare setting and Infection Preventionists are responsible for ensuring that this complex process is performed safely and accurately. This presentation will discuss the critical processes of healthcare sterilization based on the industry “best practices” as prescribed by the current AAMI Sterilization Standards, AORN Guidelines and CDC Sterilization and Disinfection Standards.
The speaker will:
- Examine the proper environment for sterilization activities to occur.
- Explain why it is important to follow instructions for use (IFU).
- Discuss the necessary steps for sterilization to occur.
- Describe the documentation process.
Group Site License: Registration includes one internet connection and one telephone connection at one location and an unlimited number of participants from your organization in one listening room.
IAHCSMM Representative, Association of the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation
Susan Klacik is the IAHCSMM Representative to the Association of the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI), a role she's held since 1997. She is an active member of the Association for periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN) Guidance Advisory Board. With more than 35 years of Sterile Processing experience, Klacik has authored numerous articles and served as a contributing author to the IAHCSMM Central Service Technical Manual. She is the author of the IAHCSMM publication’s column, “Inside Washington,” and the OR Manager column “Sterilization and Infection Prevention.” Klacik has been an international speaker on sterilization topics for over ten years. In 2012 she was listed as Who’s Who in Infection Prevention. She was the 2009 recipient of the IAHCSMM Award of Honor and received the IAHCSMM President’s Award in 1996 and 2003. Klacik has represented IAHCSMM for regulatory affairs.
- Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. (APIC) is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
- Nursing Contact Hours: 1.00 (not always applicable as not all webinars are eligible)
- To get CNE for a webinar, you must attend the program in its entirety and complete an on-line evaluation of it. Your feedback is not only required by our CNE accrediting body, but it is vital to development of future programming that best meets learners' needs. We read every word you write.
- No speaker or planning committee member disclosed any financial or commercial interest that affected this educational activity.
All Event Center users/viewers must access the meeting with an HTML 5 supported web browser. To confirm if you are ready to participate in a web meeting, please take the browser test:
Below are more specific user requirements for the EventCenter web technology.
Minimum System Requirements:
2.0Ghz Processor or faster
2 GB RAM (Greater than 2 GB recommended)
Minimum Browser Requirements:
Browser must support HTML-5. To detect your browser version, run https://whichbrowser.net/
Windows 7 or later
Mac OS X 10.9 or later
Chrome 60 or greater
Firefox 52 or greater
Edge 14 or greater
Safari 10 or greater
iOS 10 or greater
Internet Explorer 11
IP Addresses and Ports to Allow for HTML5:
18.104.22.168 port 80, 443 (web and audio)
22.214.171.124 port 80, 443 (web and audio)
126.96.36.199 ports 80, 443 (web and audio)
188.8.131.52 ports 80, 443 (web and audio)
184.108.40.206 ports 80, 443 (web and audio)
Technical support: firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you watching this webinar with a group? Everyone watching the presentation can request a certificate.
Note: Each group member must register themselves for the survey via this link using your APIC username and password: Survey and Certificate Access.
At the end of the event, you will receive a verification code. All group members must have this verification code to access the survey and certificate.
Upon completion of the program:
- Log in to webinars.apic.org and select “Dashboard”.
- Select the webinar you just viewed followed by the Contents tab
- Input the verification code in the space provided and submit
- Complete the webinar survey
- Print Certificate
Direct any questions to email@example.com.